Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Courage

I got the idea for this poem from the part of The Silver Chair in which it says, "Crying is all right in its way while it lasts. But you have to stop sooner or later, and then you still have to decide what to do."

My eyes are still red,
itchy, puffy, and tear-filled,
but I feel
better.
The initial pain is gone,
and it’s time for me
to move
to change
to decide what I need to do next.
For although crying has certain
healing qualities,
it in no way resembles
a solution.
Although the worries may
leak out with the tears,
the problem is still there.
And now I must face it.

2 comments:

Alcazal said...

Yay! I just finished my essay and now I have read your poem. Here are my thoughts: I like the idea a lot and your inspiration for it. However, it seems too analytical. I would like to see, at least initially more of the emotional response or the emotionally laden thoughts before you get too 'reason'able. I put just reason is quotes because it seems laden with reason as opposed to feeling or sentiment or something, almost to the exclusion of feeling and such. I really like this line 'Although the worries may
leak out with the tears,'. Do my comments make sense? If not, ask and I shall endeavor to clarify. Oh, I also have poetry I would like critiqued. I shall be brave and post it on inklings blog. Well, that's not so scary since no one but you and occasionally John or I really reads that blog on anything like a regular basis.

Emily said...

Hmm, I don't know. I sort of meant it to be rather practical. The emotional part is supposed to be over when the poem is beginning.