Friday, February 15, 2008

Rambling Thoughts

I wish I knew what was in their heads.
Are they full of worries, fears, doubts?
Or are they truly as joyful
As they seem on the outside?
It does not seem possible,
Though I guess it could be true.


Could it really be true
That some of those heads
Are filled with ideas of the seemingly impossible?
Or do I alone have these doubts?
Maybe I should let these fears outside
Of my head because I want to be joyful.


Is it possible to feel joyful?
Is joy a real and true
emotion, affected by what happens on the outside?
Or is it something in my head,
that I have to keep despite my doubts?
This could be possible.


And it’s just as possible
For me to leave joyfully
Even though I have disappointments and doubts.
And I think it’s true
That this can help me get ahead,
And can protect my inside when I’m hurt from the outside.


It’s cold outside,
And not just in the air, but possibly
Everywhere, though some of it’s in my head.
How do I, despite this, remain joyful?
Especially when I know the truth
And I still have so many doubts.


They keep telling me, so I doubt
I can control the outside.
But sometimes I still don’t believe that’s true.
Though maybe it really is possible
That I can be joyful.
I’ll have to keep that in my head.


I doubt that I’ll ever see in their heads,
And I truly shouldn’t worry about the outside,
But I’ll remain joyful because that is possible.

2 comments:

ransomedhandmaiden said...

Nice. Very nice. You really seem to have let go with this one and just let the words flow. I especially like "How do I, despite this remain joyful? / Especially when I know the truth / And I still have so many doubts." Probably because I relate. In fact I relate to most of it.

Only thing I would change is to ditch/change the last three lines. I think you tried to force a conclusion that you didn't truly feel yet. A poem can just be about how you feel right then; it doesn't have to come to the true resolution. Let yourself be confused, and end confused. It's okay.

And did you mean "For me to live joyfully" rather than "leave"? Or do I just not understand that line?

I loved it though... I loved being able to look inside your head through it, and to see that you feel the same way as me about things. That's the best kind of poem to me, the kind where you seem to really see how the person is thinking. Good job.

Emily said...

I think that line only makes sense in the context on inside my head, which I didn't really realize I guess. The whole poem is really supposed to be my occasional thought process during church, if that makes sense. So when I say leave, I mean leaving at the end of the service.
The last three lines are really only there because I had to write a sestina for a class, and that's part of the formula.